Which of the following scenarios most accurately describes your present situation?
- I wake up every morning with energy and enthusiasm for the day ahead. I absolutely love my job, and I couldn't work with a better group of people. Not only am I well compensated, but I also have an amazing work-life balance. One tank of gas covers my daily commute for a month, and my travel situation is very manageable. To top it off, our company is growing at record pace... the next 10 years of employment are all but guaranteed. I hit the career jackpot!
- I haven't been challenged in a really long time. Every day I’m surrounded by egos, bureaucracy and mediocrity. I’m grossly underpaid for the contributions I make, especially considering how little I see my loved ones. My commute is terrible, and I’m asked to travel much more than I’d like. There are rumors my division will be restructured soon, and I just received an ultimatum to relocate to New Jersey. I just didn’t see my career unfolding this way.
If Scenario #2 sounds familiar, you may be wondering how many others are sharing in your professional misery. A recent LinkedIn survey found that only 27% of respondents indicated they were "very satisfied" with their current job, less than half (45%) indicated they were "somewhat satisfied" with their current job, and 89% engaged in “some form of job search related activity” within the past 30 days!
For most people, “some form of job search related activity” means browsing the current postings on major job boards, submitting online applications on company job portals, and/or engaging recruiters or headhunters. But do these methods really work?
Though it seems like these tactics should work, the truth is you have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting in front of a qualified decision maker!
The harsh reality of conventional wisdom...
For every person hired as a result of the above intermediaries, there are hundreds of applicants who are immediately screened out by keyword robots, geographic proximity and unqualified talent evaluators who lack the functional knowledge to value relevant qualifications beyond the requirements listed in that generic job description. And, despite public perception, headhunters DO NOT work for job seekers. In fact, they get paid by employers to fill very niche positions. Often times, the organizations they represent have internal issues and have outsourced recruitment to a handful of companies on a contingency basis rather than correcting the issue. Bottom line... if they can’t make money on you today (they typically collect a 20-30% placement fee if you're hired), there is no need to “get to know you” or perhaps “help you down the road.” This is why so many job seekers complain about poor follow up and being treated like a transaction.
Real opportunities are everywhere... if you know where (and how) to look!
Consider this: 85% of new hires are filling unposted jobs (these openings are often referred to as the hidden job market), especially for leadership and executive level roles. Why? Because hiring managers know where they can improve their team, but they don't always have the time and resources to post a formal requisition. Therefore, human resources often isn’t involved until after a target candidate has already been discovered.
- As a savvy job seeker, you’re probably wondering if it’s even possible to tap into the hidden job market without relying on luck to put you in the right place at the right time. The answer is a resounding “yes!” What you need is an approach built on visibility, marketability and productivity. Consider the following:
- You may be well-connected, but you can't know everyone. Furthermore, you're limiting your opportunities by relying on personal introductions.
- You may be exceptionally qualified, but that doesn't mean you’re an expert at communicating your professional brand to the right audience.
- You may be a natural hustler, but cold-calling hiring managers and forwarding your resume will rarely materialize into an interview.
At MeetYourGig.com, we’ve engineered our career advancement program with the hidden job market in mind. Having conducted countless interviews with CEOs, HR executives, hiring managers, recruiters and search firms, we’ve learned everything there is to know about job boards, career fairs, recruiting technology, and the methods employers rely on to attract and evaluate candidates. As we prescribed above, our approach aims to (1) enhance your visibility, (2) increase your marketability and (3) maximize your productivity. In essence, we condition job seekers, like you, to control their own destiny and find that elusive dream job.
Take our FREE Career Boost Accelerator Course and discover the strategy that enabled 1,000+ business leaders to generate 20,000+ meetings with influential executives, secure 2,500+ target jobs/clients and boost cumulative income by $12,500,000+ in 3 years. This comprehensive step-by-step guide includes detailed examples and validated case studies to ensure you get superior results.